DAY ONE: Monday, October 30, 2017
7:30 - 9:00 am
Registration, Breakfast & Exhibits (Exhibits will be open for the entire conference & will feature:)
30+ exhibitors will showcase their technologies, provide demos, & be available for Q&A
LaunchPad SBDC Showcase:
OCTANe’s Accelerator, LaunchPad, will highlight its 8 presenting companies & top medtech alumni
Edwards Lifesciences Health Pavilion:
Complimentary flu vaccinations, health screening & education
Organizations to help accelerate innovation on a global scale
Young Innovators Showcase:
The next generation of medtech talent will showcase their technologies
9:00 - 9:15am
The MedTech Powerhouse: Southern California Closes the Gap as a Leading Innovation Ecosystem
- Bill Carpou, CEO, OCTANe
9:15 - 10:00am
Keynote: Value Based Healthcare
The CEO of Medtronic, Omar Ishrak, will provide a keynote on value based healthcare, followed by an interview with the Senior Vice President & President of Brain Therapies at Medtronic, Brett Wall.
- Omar Ishrak, CEO, Medtronic
- Brett Wall, Senior Vice President & President - Brain Therapies, Medtronic
10:00 - 10:30am
Keynote: Staying Ahead of the Curve - Update from the Hill
Jeffrey J. Kimbell, a leading representative to top companies in the life science community regarding legislative and policy remedies, will provide an election update and the latest news from capitol hill.
- Jeffrey J. Kimbell, President, Jeffrey J. Kimbell & Associates
- Congresswoman Mimi Walters, U.S. Representative (R-CA 45th District)
10:30 - 11:00am
Exhibit & Refreshment Break
11:00 - 11:45am
Panel: What’s Next in MedTech Innovation
This panel will feature SoCal-based companies and highlight the future of medtech innovation originating in this region.
- Dr. Howard Federoff, CEO, UC Irvine Health*
- Dr. Michael Stamos, Dean, UC Irvine School of Medicine*
- Dr. Richard Van Etten, Director, Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center*
Panel: Anatomy of Success
This panel will focus on Orange County startup success stories. Medtech CEOs will share their individual paths taken, lessons learned, and identify gaps that the ecosystem should address to increase the rate of success.
- Sabing Lee, Partner, Knobbe Martens (Moderator)
-Vivek Jain, Chairman of the Board & CEO, ICU Medical*
- Rob Michiels, CardiAQ*
Keynote: Human Interest Story from a Patient Perspective
This keynote will feature a patient’s personal story, and incorporate perspectives from both the company and physician that helped transform their lives.
Lunch & Exhibit Break
Industry Track: Healthcare Reform, Regulation & Reimbursement: Where Are We Going & How Will it Work?
This session will feature a panel discussion on the status of healthcare reform, regulation and reimbursement from government agencies, such at HHS, FDA, CMS, and industry. It will also highlight local companies that have been impacted and their learnings.
- Michael Lawhead, Shareholder, Stradling
- Scott Whitaker, CEO, AdvaMed
- Scott LaGanga, Senior Vice President of State Advocacy, PhRMA*
- Gary Andres, Senior Vice President of Public Affairs, BIO*
- Ernst & Young*
Innovation Track: Panel: Inventor to Entrepreneur - How to Monetize Your Inventions
This panel will discuss the difference between innovation and entrepreneurship, and provide the roadmap to monetize your inventions. It will also further explore the relationships between physicians (product users), engineers (product innovators and designers), and field sales teams (often the liaison between the two), and how collaboration can be leveraged for new product innovation.
- Tom Mitro, President & COO, Aerie Pharmaceuticals (Moderator)
- Michael Ackermann, Former Vice President of Neurostimulation, Allergan, Former President & CEO, Oculeve*
- Andy Corley, Founder, Yelroc Consulting & Co-Founder, Flying L Partners, Former Co-Founder, Eyeonics*
- Ron Bache, President & CEO, Bache, Inc. Former President & CEO, AqueSys, Inc. (Acquired by Allergan in 2015)*
Panel: The Race to Develop Molecular Diagnostic Technologies
This panel will provide the latest updates in diagnostics, including Dx and MDx, and will focus on the growing competition to develop diagnostic technologies based on molecular methods, which detect disease more quickly and accurately than traditional diagnostic methods. It will also discuss IPOs positioned in the short run and how MDx companies can get reimbursed.
- Clay Wilemon, CEO & Chief Strategy Officer, DevicePharm (Moderator)
- Dr. Franklin Libenson, Vice President of Global Marketing, Agendia*
- Quest Diagnostics*
- Ambry Genetics*
Exhibit & Refreshment Break
Industry Track: Panel: Orange County - The Affordable, Attractive & Preferred Destination
This panel will address how to retain and attract companies in Orange County. It will also identify challenges, discuss myths, and review the current infrastructure of medtech ecosystem resources such as real estate (residential & commercial), manufacturing, education, and talent.
- Bill Carpou, CEO, OCTANe (Moderator)
- Jim Doti, Professor & President Emeritus, Chapman University
- Jim Mazzo, Global President of Ophthalmic Devices, Zeiss
- Doug Holte, President, Irvine Company
Innovation Track:Panel: How to Accelerate Innovation on a Global Scale
This panel will discuss the global innovation environment and opportunities that exist throughout various countries, such as launching a company internationally, clinical trial accessibility, tax credits, manufacturing, and product development. It will also highlight attractive funding opportunities, like increased access to capital from Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
- K&L Gates* (Moderator)
- Wilbur Ross, Secretary of Commerce
Panel: How Applications of AI/AR/VR and Big Data Can Impact Your Company & Patients
This panel will highlight the convergence of technology and medical technology by providing tangible examples and applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and Big Data. It will also discuss how these technologies impact both industry and patient experiences.
- JP Morgan*
Panel: The University Impact - Preparing the Talent Pool
This session will harness the power of local universities, which produce the greatest amount of engineers in the nation, to prepare the next generation of the medtech workforce.
- Gregory Washington, Dean, Samueli School of Engineering, UC Irvine (Moderator)
- Yannis Yortsos, Dean, Viterbi School of Engineering, USC*
- Jayathi Murthy, Dean, Samueli School of Engineering, UCLA*
-Albert Pisano, Dean, Jacobs School of Engineering, UCSD*
Cocktail & Networking Reception
Private Reception (by invitation only, please)
DAY TWO: Tuesday, October 31, 2017
Chairman’s Breakfast (by invitation only, please)
This exclusive, intimate breakfast will connect conference speakers, sponsors, industry CEOs and investors, and will include a special keynote presentation by Geoff Tobin, MD, Founder of the Himalayan Cataract Project, which works to eradicate blindness in the developing world.
- Geoff Tabin, MD, Founder, Himalayan Cataract Project
Registration, Breakfast & Exhibits
Keynote: The Future of Healthcare
This keynote will highlight the future of healthcare and its affect on entrepreneurs to big industry.
Keynote: Investment Opportunities
This panel will focus on investment opportunities in the medtech sector.
- Albert Cha, MD, PhD, Managing Partner, Vivo Capital
Exhibit & Refreshment Break
LaunchPad Company Presentations
LaunchPad, OCTANe’s award-winning, high-tech accelerator, will select eight of its top medtech companies to give presentations.
- David Mildrew, Managing Director, BioQuest (Moderator)
LaunchPad Company Presentation Award
LaunchPad Company Presentations will be judged by top medtech investors. Their respective scores will be tallied, and the company with the highest score will receive the LaunchPad Company Presentation Award.
Keynote: Tying it All Together
Lunch & Entertainment